Parking in the Twin Cities comes at a premium. However, if you do end up needing to drive to school, here is some information on a few options for parking near IPR.
Please keep in mind that there is no parking reserved for students at IPR.
Metered parking is located along 1st Avenue and 3rd Street and most side streets. You can usually get 12 to 15 minutes per quarter. Be careful, as you will almost always get a ticket if you are parked for longer than you paid for. Also, be conscious of “no parking” rules in tow away zones that take effect during rush hour from 4-6 p.m. on some streets. Active meter hours are usually Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. The rest of the time you may park for free for any length of time at the meters (but make sure to check your specific meter for times — they may vary).
- Union Plaza (612-349-2741) is a lot located a few blocks from IPR at 333 Washington Ave N. Rates are $1/hour, $4.50/day, and $85/month for a permit. Parking is often on a waiting list, so the sooner you can call before your start date, the better.
- Ramp C (ABC Ramps) (612-343-7275) is located right around the corner from IPR at 318 2nd Ave N. Ramp C is the ramp closest to IPR. Ramp C offers many different options for parking at cost efficient rates. Between the hours of 6-9 a.m., the Early Bird Special is $6.25, 12 hour limit. They also offer a night and weekend rate of $5.00. Another option they offer is an outstanding carpool rate for either $20 or $99. The $20 carpool rate applies to vehicles with two or more commuters entering from the North or Northwest using I-394 or I-94. The $99 carpool rate applies to vehicles with two or more commuters entering on their 318 2nd Avenue entrance. The standard rate for a monthly contract is $125/month. The main office for ABC Ramps is located in the ground floor lobby of Ramp A at 101 9th Street North, Minneapolis, MN 55403 open from 7 a.m.-6 p.m.
- WW Parking Lot A (763-509-9999) is about three blocks from IPR at 90 Second Ave S, by the Federal Reserve Bank building. Rates are $4/day and $70/month.
- Fourth Street Garage (also Ramp B) - (612-376-0090) is three blocks away with entrances on North Third Avenue and North Second Avenue. Rates are $9.75/day (4-12 hours), Early bird rate:$7. Nights $5 and $140/month.
- WW Parking Lot B (763-509-9999) is about two blocks from IPR at Washington Ave. N & 2nd Ave. N. Rates are $100/month for permit parking, weekdays 6 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Designer's Guild Ramp (612-332-5000) is located on N. 5th Avenue, 2 blocks from IPR. Rates are $97/month after tax. Contract parking not valid after 6 p.m. during Twins home games.
Visit http://parking.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/index.htm for all details about parking meters, ramp locations, rates and general information.
TARGET FIELD PARKING RESTRICTIONS
With Target Field in operation, local parking facilities may alter their policies to accommodate game day parking. Some contract parking will only be valid weekdays from 6 a.m.-6 p.m., resulting in additional hourly or event charges after 6 p.m. Because policies vary, be sure to ask your parking facility for contract details to avoid unwanted confusion. Keep up with the Twins' home schedule to prepare for increased traffic and parking congestion in the area. www.twinsbaseball.com
A few things to keep in mind
Most all apartments in the Minneapolis area will charge you to park in their lot. The exceptions are those with street parking and a few select buildings that offer free lot parking.
- No one at IPR can assist you with parking issues. If you have a problem, you will have to contact the owner of the ramp/lot/meter.
- Consider getting housing in the suburbs. Parking in the suburbs is almost always free, so you would only need to pay one monthly fee (for downtown parking). However, some suburbs are rather far away from IPR, so you need to factor in gas prices and wear and tear on your vehicle.
- There is no perfect solution to having a car in the cities. You will need to look at your budget, housing options and how often you predict needing the vehicle in order to choose the most sensible option.